OWWLAC Meeting, Tuesday, August 27, 2013

1:30-3:30pm at PLSHQ


Present

Melissa Correia (CS), Anna Grace (WADS), Sandra Hylen (ONT), Stacey Wicksall (RJ), Betsy Morris (PLS), Lindsay Stratton (PLS)

Excused

Beth Horn (GPL/Central), Erin Robinson (CAS), Theresa Streb (LYO)

Agenda

Free Direct Access overview

Betsy will follow up on the Free Direct Access plan information presented at the 8/23/13 System Meeting. Discussion: FDA plan outlines policies by which libraries can restrict services to residents of communities that lie within the PLS service area but that do not contribute funds equal to their residents' use of nearby libraries. Follow System Meeting link above for text of the draft plan. Libraries do not have to restrict access. This information can be used as leverage in funding discussions. Currently, Wadsworth (users from the town of York) and Livonia (users from Consesus) are the two PLS libraries most directly impacted. Determining funding can be very complex, given overlaps of chartered service areas, municipal boundaries, and school district boundaries. If libraries decide to pursue restricting access to users from certain areas, this can be configured in Evergreen settings.

Outcomes:
  • Draft plan acceptable with some slight changes in wording
  • Cassie Guthrie will route final version of the plan with instructions within the next 2 weeks
  • All Boards must vote on the plan, with >50% approval; the plan will then go to the PLS Board for approval, and then to the commissioner

Follow up on welcome packet ideas

Discussion: OWWLAC members feel that this topic would benefit as a Birds of a Feather type session, where libraries that offer welcome packets/information/materials could do a show and tell, and share ideas. Ideas that came up in this discussion: offering copies of library information to the Chamber of Commerce to be added to "welcome wagon" type packages; library information packets useful to staff as quick reference.

Outcomes:
  • Melissa Correia will take this to PLSDAC for further discussion, feel for level of interest among other directors
  • Pending PLSDAC feedback Lindsay will add to the BoaF session list

Follow up on E-Reader Committee

Original scope of the E-reader Committee pretty much complete. Plans to wrap up work with a seminar/workshop/discussion event for more indepth focus on issues relating to purchasing, budgeting for, circulating, and promoting e-reader devices.

Discussion: OWWLAC members would like this workshop to be oriented toward discussion, similar to the Birds of s Feather session, but longer. The committee agrees; plans to offer this program in the fall. One suggestion to potentially include in workshop: options for download stations in libraries that are dedicated PCs, not Overdrive kiosks.

Report Suggestion: Daily Circ report

Prototype: Circulation by Day and Hour

Discussion: This type of activity report is of interest to OWWLAC member libraries, and probably most libraries. Existing prototype report (available only to PLS staff) is too minimal and difficult to use to be fully useful to members. An activity report can be created, PLS staff just need to know what information would be most useful to all libraries, to keep the report being too complex. This would have to be fit into the general CANS to do list.

Outcomes:
  • Reframe the report as "Desk Activity Report" or something similar, to reinforce that this is about actions occurring at the circulation desk, performed by staff using the ILS, at defined points in time NOT circulation transactions on items
  • Define example use cases for this type of activity data (example: "I need to know how much activity is taking place on Fridays between 6:00-8:00pm, for every Friday for the past year, in order to justify staying open.", etc.)
  • Define types of activities to count - all ILS transactions? checkouts/checkins only?
  • Define types of time ranges
  • Melissa Correia will present to PLSDAC for discussion
Example of the current prototype report, displaying activity counts by day and hour for a one week time period: *2013-08-27 ActivityReportPrototype.png

Report Suggestion: strip non-filing characters from titles in Shelflist report

Remove A, An, and The from shelflist reports to improve sorting by title.

Outcomes:
  • Yes, remove non-filing characters from shelflist report

Amend OWWLAC Bylaws

Update Article II. Purpose to include role of adhoc/special topic committees as a source of input for the OWWLAC decision making process.

The intent of the OWWLAC committee is to review OWWL policies and procedures, gather input from member libraries, OWWL Users Group (OWWLUG), PLS Directors Advisory Council (PLSDAC), AND AD HOC SPECIAL TOPIC COMMITTEES on any current issue facing the OWWL Integrated Library System (Circulation, Online Public Access Catalog and Cataloging), discuss the topic in detail and recommend any needed policies which will be followed system-wide. The committee is advisory in nature, with the final authority to implement its recommendations residing with the OWWL Systems Administrators, the Pioneer Executive Director and ultimately the Pioneer Library System Board of Directors.

Update Article IX. Training Coordinator to reflect Library Automation Services Manager title.

Outcomes:
  • Yes, update the OWWLAC Bylaws to add ad hoc/special topic committees and change the Training Coordinator title

Loan periods for DVD TV series

Question from member library, re: TV series on DVD circulating for 1 week, which is too short, what can be done?

Discussion: Reminder that copy records for TV series on DVD should be created with circulation modifer=Video or New Video and Loan Duration=Long. According to OWWL standard rules, and library-specific rules, this will circulate the series for 3 weeks or 1 week (new videos). Probably, some libraries are either not setting the long loan duration or are not updating the new video circ modifer correctly.

Reminder that generally, the system is set up to circulate items following the checkout library's circ rules not the owning library's, but that sometimes settings conflict so that it doesn't work as it should. When these conflicts happen, the checkout library can manually edit the due date to the correct due date.

Outcomes:
  • Lindsay will clarify the settings for TV series on DVD in an Evergreen Tips sheet and at OWWLUG
  • Lindsay will clarify that checkout libraries can edit due dates for hold items when they do not match the library's due dates in an Evergreen Tips sheet and at OWWLUG
  • Lindsay will check, and updated if needed, documentation regarding copy record settings for series

Fine monies accepted for items not owned by the library

Question submitted at the meeting: how are libraries supposed to handle money accepted in payment of overdue fines, when the items being billed are not owned by that library? Is there a cut off amount above which the money should be sent to the item owning library?

Any bills can be paid at any library. All money accepted in payment for overdue fines can be kept by the library handling the payment. When a patron is paying LOST or DAMAGED bills, that money must be forwarded to the item owning library (if payment is made by check, the check should be addressed to the owning library).

Outcomes:
  • Lindsay will clarify bill payment / money distribution policies in an Evergreen Tips sheet and at OWWLUG
  • Lindsay will propose to PLS staff including a "Did you know..." feature to the monthly System Meetings to present a brief reminder of these types of policy/procedure questions that are easily lost/forgotten
  • Lindsay will work on pulling together OWWL Policies to more easily track these issues
  • Incorporate these types (series records, editing due dates, fines) of questions/policy matters into New Director Orientation information

Outcomes & Actions

  • Cassie Guthrie will route final version of the plan with instructions within the next 2 weeks
  • Melissa Correia will take "Welcome Packet" topic to PLSDAC for further discussion, idea sharing, feel for level of interest among other directors
    • Pending PLSDAC feedback Lindsay will add to the BoaF session list
  • Melissa Correia will take activity count report to PLSDAC for further discussion
    • Reframe "circ stats by [timeframe]" report as "Desk Activity Report" or something similar, to reinforce that this is about actions occurring at the circulation desk, performed by staff using the ILS, at defined points in time NOT circulation transactions on items
    • Define example use cases for this type of activity data (example: "I need to know how much activity is taking place on Fridays between 6:00-8:00pm, for every Friday for the past year, in order to justify staying open.", etc.)
    • Define types of activities to count - all ILS transactions? checkouts/checkins only?
    • Define types of time ranges
  • Yes, remove non-filing characters from shelflist report - request submitted via RT32396
  • Yes, update the OWWLAC Bylaws to add ad hoc/special topic committees and change the Training Coordinator title - DONE
  • Lindsay will clarify the settings for TV series on DVD in an Evergreen Tips sheet and at OWWLUG - added to OwwlugMeeting20130927
  • Lindsay will check, and updated if needed, documentation regarding copy record settings for series
    • This information is buried in the Circulation Modifier, under list item: "Video - use for videorecordings and videorecording sets; use LoanDuration "Long" for items that circulate for three weeks"; added "...such as TV series and instructional DVDs"
  • Lindsay will clarify that checkout libraries can edit due dates for hold items when they do not match the library's due dates in an Evergreen Tips sheet and at OWWLUG - added to OwwlugMeeting20130927
  • Lindsay will clarify bill payment / money distribution policies in an Evergreen Tips sheet and at OWWLUG
  • Lindsay will propose to PLS staff including a "Did you know..." feature to the monthly System Meetings to present a brief reminder of these types of policy/procedure questions that are easily lost/forgotten
  • Lindsay will work on pulling together OWWL Policies to more easily track these issues - in progess: OwwlPolicies
  • Incorporate these types (series records, editing due dates, fines) of questions/policy matters into New Director Orientation information
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding OWWL Docs? Send feedback
This website is using cookies. More info. That's Fine